Thread: 56 Merc 2 4s
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2018, 09:06 PM   #12
Oldmics
BANNED

Default Re: 56 Merc 2 4s

I"ll be argumentative

KT says

"All I am trying to get across is that just having one piece of documentation does not give one the right to say that was how it only was and have a nice day."

At that era of time a decision had to be made on the use of parts to homologate those parts for use on the race track.

Merc speced the teapots (respectfully H 4000) carbs and the rest is racer history.

I absolutly agree that WCFBs could have been utilised and probably were tried.
However those were not instituted as the homologated part.

NASCAR made the rules and those rules state on that the one piece of paper (actually much more than one) that Mercs utilised the Hollys.

I too have heard the lore of the WCFBs used on the early M 260 engines.

I have Merc documentation on the early camshaft part used in the M 260 but still never any mention of the Carter carbs used.

The intake was done in Edlebrocks facility.

I would have to assume that they also had a Ford 260 manifold for comparision purposes. Hell they had the Holly"s that were part of the Ford system.

I would suggest that Vic Edlebrock , Buddy Barr and Bill Strope along with Ed Isky created that Merc manifold .I know Isky was involved because he said so in an interview that I have of him.

Current day dyno testing has proven that Merc M 260 dual quad manifold to be far superior than any dual quad Ford came up with for the Y block and it is because of the rear carb setback location.

Proof IS in the documentation - All else is conjecture and speculation.

By the way KT -Would you be interested in a nice bridge that I have for sale in Jersey ?
I dont have any documentation of ownership but I do have a few folks who will swear that I own it.

Oldmics

Last edited by Oldmics; 11-23-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Oldmics is offline   Reply With Quote