View Single Post
Old 10-17-2018, 08:27 AM   #34
Dave in MN

Default Re: Excelsior Radial Tires

Greetings Guys,
I have been reading the previous posts and all comments except #28 (Synchro909) are positive. I delayed commenting on the Excelsior Stahl Sport Radial Tires until I could obtain photos and speak directly with a friend who has had less than satisfactory results with these tires. Look closely at the photos of the tires...Maybe the tires in the photo are not the same tires as those that are being spoken of so highly in the previous posts.
He purchased 5 of the 5.00R19 84S in 2016 mounted them when he received them and since then has logged about 19,000 miles on them. Early in the life of these tires, he had one develop a flat wear spot and asked for a warranty replacement. Coker did replace one. From the time the replacement tire was installed to now, all of the tires have developed the same wear spots to some degree including the replacement.
The owner reports that with the flat spots, the "out of round" can be felt when at speeds below 25 mph.
The max. pressure rating for these tires is 44# and stated so on the tire. The owner has been running them at 35#. At 35# the tire is holding profile and not looking flat near the bottom as a radial tire often will appear. Update: Coker suggests running these tires at the maximum rating of 44#.

I considered these tires last summer for my touring car, the Phaeton in my avatar, but reconsidered when the flat spot problems became apparent. I purchased a set of '35 wheels and mounted Coker Classic Radials just before we started on our East Coast road trip. I am well satisfied with the ride but they don't look "Model A".

I don't like bashing anyone's product..I am not posting to be negative. I just want a prospective buyer to be aware and to have the "Rest of the story" Good Day!
See attached photos:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wear Photo 2.jpg (48.8 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg Stahl Sport Radial.jpg (60.5 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by Dave in MN; 10-17-2018 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Add photos
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote