View Single Post
Old 07-16-2018, 08:59 PM   #65
holdover

Default Re: Cos of A Restoration

Been watching this for a few weeks, and there are some interesting points made. The cost of a restoration is truly an open ended question, everyone is different. Quality work by a skilled craftsman is expensive, as is the materials and parts. As a life long restorer I couldn't give you a number of how many times someone asked me how much to do the job. My answer always has been time and materials and what level do you want to achieve. Years ago I gave up doing customer work and started buying and restoring, then selling. Less hassle no interface with an anxious customer who wants it done yesterday and no issues about getting paid while the restoration is taking place and they all went out the door to new, happy owners. One thing that has not been mentioned is that if you are planning on having a restoration done seek out someone that is knowledgeable working on that particular model, the local guy down the street may not have a clue on how something is suppose to be, using someone not qualified could be a recipe for financial diaster, not to mention the frustration. If you stick with the better shops around the country you might be better off, but do your homework before you commit to spending your grand kids inheritance. Patience is the key, look around, research where you want to go with this, it will be expensive and you want to make sure that the end result will stand up to the test, is it done correctly. The man that taught me many automotive things while I was growing up in Huntington Sta. NY in the 50s-60s, Bob Kannard had a saying that he had on a banner in the waiting room, "Confucius says, ask for cheap job, get same"

I'll finish with a suggestion that worked for me in finding my Tudor, as a restorer I admire and can appreciate quality work, plus you get to enjoy it as soon as you buy it.. Look at the vehicles that pass muster at the national meets, such as fine point judging or touring class the last couple of years, investigate who did the work, you might find one of those vehicles for sale and have the opportunity to buy it. Not the only way to find one, but not to bad a start

Last edited by holdover; 07-16-2018 at 09:31 PM.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote