View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #16
pooch

Default Re: 1928 multi-disc clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in Quincy View Post
I have made the conversation of the 28 belhousing and transmission and installed a later pressure plate and lightened flywheel so I could use the early pedals. When completed you would be unable to identify, from a visual inspection, that anything had been changed. This conversation was on a Very Early 28 with left hand brake and smooth pedals. I did not make any change to the floating brake system.

For starters the 28 bellhousing has to be machined to accept the later transmission input shaft and throwout bearing sleeve and bearing retainer; the multidisc fork has to be changed to a later fork as the multidisc fork is too narrow for the later throwout bearing; the shaft size that carries the fork is the same size in both early and later bellhousings. If you use a cone pressure plate it is not necessary to make any changes to the inside of the 28 bellhousing for clearance. I had a regular flywheel cut down to 39 lbs including the new ring gear; the flywheel was surfaced smooth, drilled and tapped for the pressure plate (Joe Way who posts here on the Ford Barn did the work on the flywheel). If you choose to use the tractor pressure plate, with the counter weights on the outside then you have to do some grinding to the bottom inside of the bellhousing to make clearance. Would also suggest you use the early arm on the throwout shaft as you get better alienment with the clutch pedal.

Ron
So, upon re reading, the machining is allow the 29 input shaft to fit the 28 bellhousing?

What if I was to use the 28 bellhousing AND gearbox on the back of the 29 motor , would this skip the machining process?

Do I HAVE to use a 29 input shaft/To bearing/retainer?

Are they different?

You had your flywheel lightened, and you had clearance, so I am not sure if the info I heard will still mean the standard 29 flywheel will foul on the 28 bellhousing.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote