View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #1003
Vic Piano

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

This morning I took the ’51 F-1 out for a short run down to the grocery store. When I fired it up, I noticed that it was a little slow to crank. Once I got out on the road, at around 50 mph I looked at the battery gauge and saw that it was registering 10 volts (this is a 12 volt system)… I turned around, drove back to the house, shut the truck off and tried to start it again, no dice… I did a quick visual check and noticed that the battery wire connection coming out of the generator was rusty. I disconnected the battery, took the battery connection off the generator, cleaned it up with a wire brush and reassembled it. I put a charge on the battery, fired up the truck and at around 1,000 rpm’s the battery gauge was showing 13+ volts. I turned the headlights on and the voltage continued to charge when reved up so, I shut the truck down and hooked up a trickle charger to the battery…. Hopefully the slow charge will replenish the battery and everything will be ok… Now I’m going out to the garage to see if I can scrounge up another generator to have converted to 12 volts and keep it under the seat in the truck… that way I’ll never need to use it…