Thread: Horn won't work
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2018, 09:03 PM   #1
Woodie1

Default Horn won't work

I am trying to get a spare horn working. It seems as though the armature is too tight when I adjust the tone. If I back the screw out, I can get the horn to spin like mad. When I start turning the screw in, it almost bottoms out & then the horn won't spin. I also never get the horn sound. I have a repro diaphragm in it as the old one was cracked around the point that rubs. I have new thin gaskets & even had new brushes & springs in the horn. The armature has been cleaned & the grooves cleaned out on the comm. I had made a new felt for the top end & oiled the felts on both ends. If I push down on the armature with one hand & turn it, then I can feel it make contact with the rubbing wheel. I've been testing with a charger. It just seems like the armature needs to go down farther to contact the wheel but I think that pressure is what stops the armature from spinning thus no sound. I'm thinking of making a gasket for the top of the diaphragm out of paper & see if this gets me closer or bend the bracket that is on the bottom of the noise wheel. What are your thoughts?
Woodie1 is offline   Reply With Quote