View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
Motorhead6

Default Re: moisture in cap again

Moisture getting into the cap indicates that it is coming from somewhere. Profound statement I know. Check to be sure that you don't have seepage coming from one of the thermostat housings, a radiator hose, a heater hose, or possibly a water pump slinging coolant up while turning at high speed. Re-tighten all of your hose clamps.

By the fact that you had a rusted spring inside the Dist., it seems that this has been going on for a while. Of course coolant with anti-freeze shouldn't cause rust, so maybe it's not that. Living in Ga where it is often very humid could mean that the cap "breathes" when it heats and cools, so look for a crack, hole, or opening in the spark plug cable receptacles. When the thing heats up, air escapes the inside of the dist., when it cools, it inhales moist air that then condenses the moisture out in the form of droplets that over time can become significant in quantity.

Working with hermetically sealed jet engine containers taught me that a slight leak over time can lead to large amounts of water accumulating in the bottom of the steel containers. I once saw a situation where there was maybe 30 gallons of water in a container that had sat for many years. It had only a slight defect in the seal and led to this.
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote