View Single Post
Old 07-27-2020, 05:26 AM   #15
PeteVS

Default Re: Any shaky can preference on small parts??

Some time not too long ago, Rustoleum "improved" their cans by making it so that you could spray with the can upside down. Krylon shortly followed suit. To get this feature, they installed a very fat straw that brings the paint up from the bottom of the can. Now, you can't just turn the can upside down and do a quick pffft to clear the nozzle. If you try that, you'll be putting a LOT of paint out even if you only used a very small amount. After loosing a couple of cans due to clogged nozzles thinking that maybe it would be OK to put them away "wet", I figured to sort of beat their marketing ploy. I took two small plastic juice bottles and filled one about 1/3 full with plain old paint thinner. Now, after using a small amount of paint, I quickly pop the nozzle off the top of the can and drop it in the bottle with the thinner, shake it up really well and then pour the thinner into the other bottle, trapping the nozzle in the process. I then just blow on the nozzle (or use compressed air if there's some in the tank) and put the nozzle loosely on the can. It's been working well for me. When I finish using a can and if the nozzle still works, I put it aside. When I start a new can, I use the old nozzle and save the new one in the event that I have a nozzle go bad mid way through the can.