View Single Post
Old 07-24-2020, 06:22 PM   #12
Kube

Default Re: Drake 40 dlx headlamp rims (bezels)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Don't the designer engineers and the production engineers ever get together to make a cost effective part and actually see how it needs fits? Like Mike said, the markings on a dip stick don't need to be + or - .0025".
That's just common sense.
I was told that in the military there is such a heightened sense of CYA that designs are drawn to the tightest specifications so as to eliminate as much as possible any negative issues down the road.

Want another story? Well, you're gonna get one.
I made the tooling for what was called a "collector". Apparently it went near (on?) the back of a jet engine and caught, well, I don't know... it caught something.
We would sell these to Allison for $900 back in 1990 or so. They were stainless and had dimensional tolerances that would make a mortal man cry. Allison would literally triple the cost to the army. All they did was take it out of our box, put it in theirs's and ship.
Anyway, I met a jet mechanic that had replaced this part numerous times. He told me to do it by the book took an entire day. Take a leather mallet and whack the side in, it took about an hour.
Guess which method was employed?
So, we are building these things to the most stringent tolerances and they are subsequently beat with a leather mallet.
Obviously the beating did not effect the installed performance.