View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 06:10 AM   #2
PeteVS

Default Re: Portable power for lightss, sm pwr equipt

A few years ago, I picked up a 1000 watt power inverter from Costco. It's a noiseless efficient electronic device that gets hooked up to a 12 volt battery and converts that power to 120 V AC. It's intended to be wired into the 12 V DC system of an RV or a boat but I got a pair of somewhat light jumper cables and cut both of the plugs off one end. I crimped terminals onto that end and connected them to the input of the inverter. I simply hook it up to a cars battery. (The one time I used it, it was with my pickup which, at the time, was my Ford Ranger.) It ran my 4" angle grinder very nicely but if I was grinding a bit too hard, it simply tripped out. I just turned the "power" switch to off, back to on and I was in business.
Only down side is that since the output voltage is 10 times the input voltage, the input current is going to be 10 times the output voltage. So, if you're drawing 8 amps with your tool or whatever, you'll be pulling 80 amps out of your battery. I'd suggest that you have your truck idling at least when you're pulling that kind of load so you won't wind up in a situation where you can't get your truck started again.