Thread: Wind Wings
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2018, 04:13 PM   #25
SSsssteamer

Default Re: Wind Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Digger View Post
..............drill a hole in glass where you can drill a hole in clamp part way into it on each clamp but not always through. I hope I explained that right. It makes a dowel so to speak that won't let the glass fall all the way out. It has worked for a long time but still have to tighten screws once in awhile but never have lost one yet.
Beware. The wind wing glass that we have today is mandated by law to be made of tempered glass. Drilling a divot, notch, or a hole will usually make the tempered glass shatter into a pile of glass crystals. Roughing up the tempered glass in the right place with sand paper should be enough to get a good grip. I had a 1922 Stanley that I had some custom made beveled glass wind wings made for it. After they were finally tempered, my bill came to $600. If I could have bypassed the tempering, I could have got them done for about half that. I accidentally broke one of the custom wind wings. In the end, I hung model A Ford roadster wind wings on the Stanley steam car.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote