View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 09:29 PM   #40
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: A Quick Trip Through Nebraska

We had our monthly Model A meeting last night, and I still have the Delco in the back seat. I also took a Delco Light Plant ad to the meeting, so I got a couple leads on some Delco Light Plants I can look at near by.

In trying to do research on this light plant I found some interesting information that also ties it to the Model A, as well as many other cars. Charles Kettering is responsible for making the Delco Light Plant, which was produced from 1916 to 1947, the same year Henry Ford died. Charles Kettering invented the high tension spark ignition, as used on our Model A's. He also invented the electric starter for automobiles. He invented a small high torque electric motor for the cash register, and when a friend of his tried to help a lady start her stalled Cadillac, it backfired and left his friend with a broken arm and jaw, which proved fatal. Leland of Cadillac was devastated and ordered a self starter be built. Charles Kettering was the man to solve the problem, so we have him to thank for our electric starters and high tension ignition.

Charles Kettering is second only to Thomas Edison for having the most patents.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote