Thread: tail lite bulbs
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2020, 08:36 AM   #4
Jim/GA

Default Re: tail lite bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rer_239 View Post
what is the cp (brightness rating) of a standard model a tail,stop, & turn bulb? is there a brighter one available? i seem to be have trouble turning left without being passed even though i have slowed, have turn signal on and arm out the window.
thanks
Dick
The stock Model A tail light bulb was 3 cp. The stop light bulb was 20 cp. You can go to a 32 cp stop light bulb, if you want.

Better to go with LEDs, the style where you have a flat board covered in small LEDs, not an LED bulb that looks like the stock bulb it replaces.

I have separate turn signal light housings in the back on my Town Sedan, separate from the brake lights. Back when I could get them, I put 50 cp halogen bulbs (I'm 12 volts in that car) in those turn signal housings. They are really bright! They draw a lot of power and get hot but they are not on that much. I noticed that when I started driving at night with them in Houston, when I turned on the signal to change lanes, people actually moved out of the way.

I also have the 3rd brake light so that people see that I am stopped to turn left. I'm concerned about them hitting me because they did not realize I am stopped.

There is not much you can do with today's impatient drivers. I had a lady cross a double-yellow centerline to pass me a few months ago when I was running within 5 MPH of the speed limit on the road in an A.

Just be alert and drive defensively. That's all you can do.

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote