Thread: Head Gasket
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 11:59 AM   #9
29er

Default Re: Head Gasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL in NY View Post
From what I've been hearing, the best head gasket for the Model A is a "Best" 509g graphite head gasket sold by Bratton's under part number 8081. This gasket is highly recommended by Rich Falluca of Antique Engine Rebuilders (AER).
Ditto that. I blew a head gasket last summer and went through the same dilemma as you in selecting a replacement. I have a Snyder 5.5:1 head and the gasket that failed was the "Modern" or "Premium" (Snyder #B-6051-M) described as "a solid steel core sandwiched by heavy-duty high density material coated with silicone..." that needs no sealant. My problem was likely initiated by a wonky stud hole in the cylinder block that allowed seepage and had to be repaired with a helicoil.

The choices for head gaskets seem to be: (a) the silicone "premium" one described; (b) copper outside with a graphite core; or (c) all graphite.

In checking around I called three parts suppliers (including Snyder's) and a couple of knowledgeable mechanics. The majority of them recommended the all-graphite. Even Snyder's told me they have received reports of premature failure of the silicone "premium" head gasket and recommended the "Best" graphite. I asked one mechanic why he preferred the all-graphite over the copper-clad gasket and his reason was that there was a possibility of leakage between the layers (graphite-to-copper). Based on that I installed an all-graphite head gasket. So far, so good (after about 1000 miles).

A couple of other things to consider might be:

(1) once the head is off, let a machinist check it for true and mill it if necessary;

(2) use a head gasket sealant on the new graphite or copper gasket (if one of those is the one you choose);

(3) consider replacing all the head studs and nuts with new ones and give the studs a light coating of anti-seize;

(4) re-torque the head several times after installation (hot and cold);

(5) check your water pump and repair/replace as necessary (I used the opportunity to replace mine with a Rupert "super duty" leakless model);

(6) check the condition of your fan and replace if any cracks.

What I report here has been my experience. Others with more knowledge than me may have different ideas.

Wishing you many happy miles ahead!

Mike in Oregon
29er is offline   Reply With Quote