View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #15
Speedy Canuck

Default Re: Side Mount Wheel Well Conversion to Storage Compartment

My 1929 Phaeton has dealer installed dual side mounts. I plan to relocate a single spare to the rear.

Utilizing the side mount wells for tool storage is a little side project that has been rattling around in my brain for quite some time. I haven't actually attempted it, as the 29 is the next project, however, here are my plans:

The wheel well should be for a 21" tire, so I will have to make a semi-circle tool box that fits within. I plan to look at replacement well patches for later model Fords (30/31 with 19" tires to begin with). I plan to make a pair of small tool boxes with lid's reminiscent of ammo cases. Ammo cases have a lid that overlaps the base, and a rubber gasket seals the case. My thought is that I could make a lid to fit over the smaller wheel well. A hinge at one end, and a latch at the other. A ammo case style handle riveted to the lid would allow the tool box to be easily removed.
In terms of securing it in the wheel well, to avoid rattles, I had considered using Plasti Dip to coat the out side of my tool box. Plasti Dip is a plastic/rubber coating that makes a coating similar to the rubber coating on hand tools. A thin rubber or cork gasket secured to the wheel well in the fender would also serve to prevent rattles caused by the tool box in the wheel well.
The drain hole in the bottom of the wheel well would remove any water that enters the wheel well.

Snap on 'tonneau' covers over each wheel well could be used to prevent the tool boxes from bouncing out (though I expect the weight of the hand tools would keep things secure as well).

I expect I'll run into some obstacles when I actually attempt this, but I think my plan is doable.

"Now you listen to me young man ... There'll be no hopped up jobs around here"
Speedy Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote