View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
Fe26

Default Re: Drake's 39 pedal assembly

Quote:
Originally Posted by COE Dan View Post
The whole idea behind a dual master cylinder is to have two independent hydraulic systems. One runs the front brakes; the other runs the rear. In case you develop a leak or failure of any hydraulic component, the probability of both systems losing pressure simultaneously is very low. Unless of course your component failure is the master cylinder in which case you may lose both.

Ultimately, the idea is a theoretically safer braking system. Whether it is better or not is opinion. A well serviced, routinely inspected single master cylinder system works just as well.

COE Dan
A few years ago we were delivering a forging on the workshops 1980 Mitsubishi truck. We drove over the Sydney Harbour Bridge, along the Warringah Expressway to the first turnoff. Fortunately for other drivers and their passengers around and in front of us the off ramp has a slope upwards and a free turn to the left lane at the traffic lights at the top of the intersection.

I changed down a gear and put my foot on the brake pedal, which went straight to the floor, for anyone who hasn't experienced 'that' I can assure you, it's a heart stopping moment.

The Gods were smiling on us as we crossed three lanes of traffic. By
using the gears and the handbrake we were able to use the free turn lane, we took the bend fast and then cruised for a block in second gear using as much handbrake as we could. We (and others) were very lucky no-one was in our way, we went through a red light at the next intersection and coasted to a stop on another uphill slope.

The mechanic was really perplexed as to why Mitsubishi would use a single cylinder master cylinder especially on a truck, and this was a 1980 vehicle.

If you have a choice between a dual and single cylinder I would suggest the dual would obviously be safer. If your choice impacted on a judging decision at a show I would lend my voice to have dual cylinders exempted on safety grounds.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote