View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 07:42 PM   #12
Tinker

Default Re: Compression great, burning oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flathead Fever View Post
What do the spark plugs look like? If its smoking there is probably oil on the plugs. Then you can see if its just one cylinder or all of them.

He says the plugs are black, but brown around the electrode. That's not what I expected.

Engine was unknown, but had been sitting for a while (5-20yrs? unknown). Running now for a yr.

It was torn down to a long block and looked over everything. Every seemed decent.

Just seems to be a stumper' for me. Says engine temp went down with a thicker oil also? He's not an engine guy (guy can weld, design, and paint), and I'm not real close to the issue anymore. Maybe I'll suggest keeping a engine log for a few months.

One thing that makes sense to me is, that we didn't check piston to wall clearance on the back of the stroke. How much can these cylinders differ along the stroke? May this be the issue and pointing to a bore.

He has a rebuilt and built up 59l that will go into a roadster project in the near future and he was thinking about just using that block till the roadster build is done. Giving him a chance to work out any bugs on the 59l.

Thank you

Last edited by Tinker; 01-14-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote