View Single Post
Old 07-03-2017, 08:02 PM   #54
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Rare '40 convertible restoration project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Wow! Finally! A guy that thinks somewhat like me. There are now officially two of us (maybe).

Hey, I love it and it brings me a lot of enjoyment. So, what's wrong with that?
Hey Kube - we're kind of kindred souls. I think I've always questioned the status quo and wanted to know 'why and how', not just 'what'. So I've always chased the details - trying to find out what I'd consider my own 'personal truths'. I was fortunate growing up in SoCal, guys like Isky, Joe Reath, Joe Hunt, Snuffy Smith and others sort of took me under their wings --- and they encouraged me to question and not just 'believe' what was considered gospel (even by them). Great mentors who taught you to question, research, experiment, fall-down, get-up and do it again.

I remember when I was about 20 years old (Ed Isky was about 65) - I had been studying Harley KR race flatheads (neighbor built a bunch of them - and had "all the good stuff"). So I go to see Ed and I say - "I want to make a roller cam for a flathead Ford" -- he says to me "roller cams don't work in flatheads" . . . and I say right back . . . "Well, that is funny, the Harley KR has won about 15 of 19 Daytona's and every dang one had a roller cam???". So - he agreed to work with me to build a couple . . . and one of them is in that engine that I posted a picture of earlier. I just saw Ed at the PRI show in Indy in December - we had a good ole' time reminiscing about me being a young kid, questioning his 'truths' and he being willing to explore them further. That is one of the GREAT things about that man, as smart and successful as he's been - he's still willing to keep listening, experimenting and learning (not many folks like him). I was blessed to have those experiences.

In the end, I think it is the core traits of curiosity, problem solving, relentlessness and striving for 'perfection' . . . that drives goofy bastards like us. (Sorry about including you in that!). I think I've learned more from wanting to know 'why', then from the easy answers that were given (even by the best of the best). That is how you learn . . .

Best of luck with your projects, if I can ever help you with your flathead work, drop me a note!

Cheers,
B&S

Last edited by Bored&Stroked; 07-05-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote