Thread: oil filter
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2018, 06:08 PM   #27
KULTULZ

Default Re: oil filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmsfrr View Post

With a "B7A" part number would that mean it wasn't available in '54 - '56?

Ford coupe mentioned his 272 equipped car being *up against a '55* so I was assuming pre-'57.

(trying to salvage some dignity from my previous 'not on early Y-blocks' reply)

Isn't the oem bolt-on canister filter a 'full flow' style filter???

Meaning; all the output of the oil pump goes thru the filter.

Many early/earlier engines had 'bypass' style oil filters. There was a separate oil passage to the filter that filtered just a portion of the total oil flow at any given time.
Well, No.1, you need not to salvage any dignity as you are most knowledgeable and I have learned quite a bit from you even though I am an old SOB...

I too thought all came through with cartridge style and couldn't remember for the life of me any different until one day I was reading old sales literature. At that point it finally dawned on me why I used to see those with and without.

The B7A is 1957 release but the Basic PN 6882 tells it is a kit rather than actual individual service parts. It made for an easier changeover without having to look-up/locate all the different service parts.

I remember very well the old days of cartridge oil filters and oil bath air cleaners and what a pain they were (My early days were as a Refueling Engineer/Technician).

And yes, during this period, both styles are free flow. The MPC shows the 1957 V8 as the last year for cartridge for PASS CAR, although the cartridge style was picked up again in the early sixties.

And my response was not meant to correct or rag on anyone. Maybe my personal skills need working on ...

OH! Did you see on the Option List a Oil Bath AC?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil Filter - Cartridge Type _1.jpg (29.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Oil Filter - Cartridge Type _2.jpg (22.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Oiling System _1.jpg (38.9 KB, 7 views)

We should have a contest. The player has to start at the very last post of a thread & then try to guess what the OP's original question was about ...
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote