View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 11:08 PM   #3
CWPASADENA

Default Re: Fuel pump installation suggestions

I would strongly suggest you also install an inertia switch in case you have an accident. In the case of an accident, you want the fuel pump to automatically shut off. Modern cars with electric fuel pumps are equipped this way. There are inertia switches made specifically for this application. A few years back, a local Model A owner and his wife were returning from dinner one summer evening. The car had a Weber carb and an electric fuel pump. He passed out while going down the road and veered off and hit a tree head on at speed. The engine was displaced to the rear and the fuel line was severed. The fuel pump kept running and the fuel from the broken fuel line ignited and the whole car erupted in flame. The pump kept running and fed more fuel into the fire. Neither occupant was able to exit the car resulting in 2 deaths.

I am very cautious when running electric fuel pumps full time for this very reason. I have electric fuel pumps on my early flat head V-8's so I can prime the carb after the car has sat for a time before cranking the engine. This saves a lot of battery as I am still running 6 volts. The pump is wired thru a momentary switch so I have to have my finger on it to energize the electric pump. Once running, the engine runs on the original mechanical pump.

Something to think about.

Chris W.

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 03-02-2021 at 11:11 PM. Reason: TYPO
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote