View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 11:35 AM   #11
wingski

Default Re: Happy Labour Day Weekend

Yes, it is chain driven by two heavy duty chains, but you can’t see them because they’re enclosed in the bell housing. It has a two cylinder air-cooled engine with a four speed synchro tranny. I’m still amazed by the fact that the car will do 65 to 70 mph fairly easily, but doesn’t like hills. I’ve owned it since 2002, and it was a garage find that had sat for twenty years in a super dry barn in Eastern Oregon. There was nothing wrong with the car other than a frozen engine. That was because the young gal who owned it drove the daylights out of it on a hot day, and it wouldn’t turn over when she came out to start it. The car was pushed into the barn and forgotten. All of this because the cam chain had stretched and over-lapped. I bought it and pulled the head, straightened out the cam chain, put it back together and adjusted the tension on the cam chain. It started right up and has been one of the most dependable cars I’ve ever owned ever since. I’ve owned about every type of Mini that was made, and the little Honda is more comfortable to sit in and drive than any of them. However, that has a lot to do with the fact that I replaced the original Honda steering wheel with one from a Pontiac Fiero. That makes getting in and out of the car so much easier. Since the Honda only weighs 1300 pounds, we use it as a tow car behind our Lazy Daze motorhome. I have to put a fish-eye lens in the back window of the motorhome or I wouldn’t know I’m towing the Honda. It makes no difference in my gas mileage and very little in my braking.

I won’t apologize for being so wordy because I’m so proud of that little car. Every time I drive it, people smile and want me to pull in front of them so they can see it better. It puts the other driver’s in a great mood and women love it. It truly is a Chick Magnet especially if Doobie our dog is with me.
wingski is offline   Reply With Quote