View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 12:56 PM   #327
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Look, it’s a Model A, No is a T, No it’s a Buick.

My friend was asking about my A and the conversation was overheard by another fellow whose family I have had some contact with. This fellow and I’ll call him Steptoe, said he had a Model A at his place and asked if I could make use of it otherwise it was going to the tip.
I called my friend Dave who is a good Model A rebuilder as compared to myself who is mechanically incompetent. Dave called Steptoe who told him it could even be a Model T. It was valuable Steptoe said, because many components could be reused. Yes, Steptoe invited him to inspect and discuss it’s usefulness. I think payment had entered his mind. Dave asked if he could run it up and onto a long trailer but no, so Dave turned up with a box trailer and we drove to the site.
It was a chassis with what was once an engine still mounted and was standing on 4 steel farm implement wheels. In another location some body scraps. No, it wasn’t an A, nor was it a T but it was a Buick, a 1926 model.
The only useful component it presented, and only to a Buick rebuilder, would have been the chassis. Nothing else.

Don’t some people have an inflated idea of what is valuable and useful.
Things were worse for Dave than what I’ve described. You see Australia’s big horse race, the Melbourne Cub ( in the state of Victoria), is held on the first Tuesday in November. In addition to a public holiday on Tuesday, Monday is also a public holiday which gives everyone a long weekend and today is Monday. Dave drove to the Victorian regional city of Shepparton to purchase some motor car components and everything was closed. This proceeded the drive to Steptoe’s to find the A was a heap of worthless junk.
However it was a nice spring day for a drive. He and his friend John had lunch with myself and my wife Patsy and we enjoyed that. I do hope Dave and John enjoyed it too. I did learn something. From Dave that is. How to be diplomatic, it was never one of my strengths.

And there are times when I have a long memory.

Last edited by woofa.express; 11-06-2018 at 05:56 PM.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote