Thread: brakes,brakes?
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: brakes,brakes?

Sorry guys , Tom is correct. The lean and what oclock depends if you are going by the inside or outside of the wheel, right or left. The drivers side is left. If i'm sitting on a creeper connecting the front brake rod to the lever on the left side. the lever should be at one oclock. When I'm typing these long winded tech. posts, in my minds eye, I see myself performing the task that I am trying to explain in as simple terms as I can. Left being the drivers side is a lesson that I learned when I started as a bodyman many years ago. If I made a mistake ordering body parts for the wrong side it caused problems and a delay. At the risk of causing confusion, I should have just said leaning foward at about 15 degrees and let it go at that. Most probably pay no attention to some of my rambling. On the other hand, some young guy may be trying to use a dial indicater to find the exact 15 degree point. That is why I brought up the oclock thing to make it simple. I didn't consider that it reverses, depending on which side of the wheel that you are looking at it from. In a way its sort of like trying to explain the reasions to avoid clockwise backlash when setting the timing. It sometimes gets confusing.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 08-12-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote