View Single Post
Old 02-26-2014, 08:15 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Met a Ford worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixseven View Post
It is unfortunate for most of us, including me, that I wasted many opportunities to talk to older, seasoned and experienced persons to learn of their life, their lessons, experiences, and history as seen through their eyes. It is frustrating to me to hear my own kids almost refusing to listen to older people as they judge them irrelevant. The younger generation seems to hang onto the words of their generation as though they want to figure out what has already been figured out, starting all over again with each generation.

I dearly regret all those opportunities that I missed. Had I paid attention when I was young and talked to a 85-year old person who would have been at least 20 years old at the time of the era, I could have had a first hand account of the turn of the last century, the phase out of the horse and buggy and the first car they remember in their home town. A 67-year old person could have told me about the Great War, a 50-year old could talk about the depression, a 40-year old person could talk about WWII and my friends big brother could have been killed in Vietnam.
How true is that! My Great Aunt is 99 and she took flying lessons in the early days, sailed clipper ship in the china sea. As an engineer with the anaconda copper company developed the charts still used today for determining the sag and stress on the poles for high tension wires with different size wires (all well before computers). She built PT boats during WWII. Lots of stories I never heard as well.

Sorry for being off topic.