Thread: Model A shops
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2022, 01:41 PM   #25
bavArian

Default Re: Model A shops

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
10 guys from metric countries, trying to convince 10,000 of us from the USA that their system is better. Good luck with that!

It's not necessarily 'better' or 'worse', as both systems by themself work for day-to-day use. Metric is imho just easier to work with.

Let's take a look at measuring distance:
You guys have inch, foot, yards, miles. That's a factor of 12, 3 and 1760 from inch to foot to yard to mile.
The metric system has millimeter, centimeter, decimeter (VERY rarely used nowadays), meter, kilometer. 10 mm = 1 cm, 10 cm = 1 dm, 10 dm = 1 m, 1000 m = 1 km.

If you take a look at how the units themselves are defined, the current metric system makes more sense too. The length of 1 inch is even based on the metric system, it's defined as 25.4 mm.

I guess there's a reason that most of the world uses the metric system.

That both systems still coexist and probably will for the next 20 or 30 years is weird. Regardless we'll still have to use the imperial system because I don't see myself changing every bolt to metric on the Ford or the Harley.
But I do think that some day in the (probably distant) future new, american Fords and Harleys will be built using metric bolts.