View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 02:29 AM   #40
hardtimes

Default Re: Hydraulic Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I'm with Jim.

Joe K has it right about the size of the tire patch. Not very big on a model A.

Here's some data to digest. While not under lab conditions, it was measured as close as a surveyors tape could do.
I rigged up a device on the front bumper of my A that would shoot a blank cartridge loaded with white chalk when I pressed the brake pedal.
I drove 30 mph on dry concrete, hit the brakes with a modulating force
as any driver who has been trained in maximum braking procedure should, and when stopped, measured the distance from the chalk mark to the front bumper device. After 4 runs I averaged the distance. 23 ft.
Doing it this way takes the driver's reaction time out of the formula.
My A has hydraulic 4 wheel disc brakes.

Now let's hear how some mechanical brakes do.
Just a tip, if you lock the brakes you will not stop in the shortest possible distance.
Hey Pete,
Yeah, I'm with Jim also !
After reading his book and giving brakes some serious thought, I sold my entire 'restored' mechanicals to a Montana restorer and put an entire new system of Lincoln hydraulics on my '30 roadster. Being as the roadster is the lightest A and given that the Lincolns ('39 thru '48) were some of the heaviest American cars ...ever, I felt that Jims' advice was sound. They work very nicely and I will not be going back !
And, just remember that safety is paramount with todays traffic and with most guys wanting more horse power out of these A/B engines. I read here , all the time, of guys touting the freeway speeds that they are able to attain with their warmed up banger engines. Doubling or more the horsepower.. without .. upgrading the braking systems, is asking for trouble, IMO.
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote