View Single Post
Old 02-09-2015, 04:29 PM   #24
Synchro909

Default Re: Hydraulic Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Then there is nothing we can say except, some people never let facts get in the way of an opinion.
Mike, what facts are you speaking of???Seems there are plenty with pre conceived ideas that they won't allow to get in the way of an opinion! It doesn't take much brain power to realise that a 16" tyre has a larger area in contact with the road and therefore a better grip than the original ones, to say nothing of the more advanced design of radial ply tyres. If my Model A as a similar sized "footprint" on the road to a modern car, it could stop just as quickly so long as the brakes are capable of stopping the wheel turning which will take more braking force than an original would, hence my scepticism about the original brakes being able to stop a 16" wheel. Then there is the larger brake drum to wheel diameter ratio to consider. Larger drums on a small wheel will work better than small drums on a large wheel, like original. My scepticism is based on my doubt that an original brake could stop a "sticky 16" wheel turning on a dry road. PS I realise that a sliding wheel will not stop as quickly as one that is not. Maximum braking comes when the wheel is just turning and it is here that the strongest brakes are needed.