View Single Post
Old 02-09-2015, 04:22 PM   #23
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Hydraulic Brakes

The comparison of four wheel disc brakes and drum brakes are not the same as compairing Hydraulic drum brakes with mechanical drum brakes. Disc brakes will also outperform hydraulic drum brakes. All that I can expect my mechanical brakers to do is lock the wheels if applied firmly enough. If I don't want the brakes to lock, I apply less pressure to the pedal. As for mechanical brakes, a lot of people have non locking rear brakes. My point is that the model A is not a heavy car as compaired to modern cars. Steel drums can expand and fade under severe conditions for sure .Cast iron brake drums have been available for the model A for many years. Ford even introduced cast iron drums sometimes in 1931 . The method of activation doesn't cause drum hydraulic brakes to be superior to drum mechanical brakes. The size of the drums on the model A are large enough to lock the wheels. People that know nothing about brakes automatically figure that hydraulic activation is better because modern cars use hydraulic . If a person can't work with simple mechanical brakes, they are less likely to be able to bleed and work with a hydraulic system that will fail way befor mechanical . activated brakes .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote