View Single Post
Old 12-07-2018, 10:15 AM   #15
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Weld and grind roller tracks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis in MA View Post
Because I left the cams in place I can't get a 4 1/5" angle grinder on it. I will try the cut-off wheel.

Asking me what the correct measurement is, and using a cut-off wheel to reshape these is sending you down the wrong road IMHO.

The ONLY way to do them correctly if you have welded them is to have a fixture that locates the housing plate in a Mill where the weld can be machined parallel with the mounting bolt holes. The pins riding on those tracks must travel parallel pushing the shoe outward with less than 0.001" deviation out of parallel. Can you hold that kind of tolerance with a grinding wheel? If not, the pin will cause the shoe to push upwards or downward during application which then causes it to be out of centerline with the drum. If the shoes are out of centerline with the drum, you will quickly lose friction in lining to drum contact due to not all parts of the shoe contacting the drum. Ford designed his brakes where the rear brakes carried the higher percentage of braking. Again, I am not trying to be mean or belittle you as many others fall into this same scenario, but times have changed and brakes need to function at 100% to be safe. This is not an area to cut corners or MacGuyver stuff.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote