Thread: Wood graining
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2019, 09:09 PM   #7
1crosscut

Default Re: Wood graining

Fundytides link to Grain It is a good place to start. They have several videos that have some good information. I bought my set up from them and used it on my 1948 Chrysler Traveler. It took me a bit to get the hang of it but it turned out super nice. Still have more to go but the car is on the back burner for a while.

They sell different plates that have grain patterns on them that you squeegee ink on and then use a soft gum type roller to lift the pattern off of the plate and then transfer it to the piece your graining. You will need to transfer several prints to cover the piece blending them together each time. Takes a bit of practice to get the blending down pat but the ink is very forgiving as it doesn't dry super fast leaving the option of just wiping a portion or all of it off and giving it another go.
An important thing I learned that they for some reason don't cover in their instructions is applying the same amount of pressure each time when squeegeeing the ink onto the plate. If you don't keep the pressure the same each time the "tone" of the ink will vary.
I asked a lot of questions and bothered them by email and phone quite a bit while I was in the market for getting a kit. They were always willing to answer my questions.
On my second order from them one of the gum rollers I got just wasn't as nice as I thought it should be and when I called them to discuss it they with no quibbles at all sent me a new one straight away.