View Single Post
Old 06-12-2021, 12:00 AM   #41
ETAModel

Default Re: Longest trip yet...MPG suck!

A few points worth making.

1. This Model A isn't mine; I am the driver and mechanic, so repairs/upgrades have to be approved by the owner. He's fine with most of my recommendations, but thought I'd mention that.
2. The notches on the steering column for the throttle and spark are long gone. I posted about this 18 months ago, but haven't made any changes to it due to more pressing issues and time limitations So I just move the spark up and down to what seems right. It isn't repeatable, except at max settings.
3. Other than youtube videos and anecdotal stories about operating the Ford A I have had very little "instructions" on the operations of said vehicle. The manual provided by Shew01 is a Godsend, and Will be studied laboriously.

I'm plan on pulling the plugs and looking/cleaning them, then taking her ( I haven't named the car yet) out in the morning and trying retarding the spark when climbing a hill or under a load, and not advancing the spark as far as I have been. As I said, I was under the impression that you pulled both levers down for max speed/power.

Thanks for all the help and info.
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote