View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019, 09:49 PM   #1
Pat/Ohio

Default Brake Light Switch Revisited - 1930 Model A

Hello All,

The last time I posted I mentioned that when I took possession of my 1930 Town Sedan, the brake switch was located on the outside of the driver's side frame rail. Knowing that it was in the wrong location I removed it and purchased a reproduction brake switch to move to the correct position behind the cross member. Being the conservative type...I optioned for the cheaper switch...MISTAKE! I should have checked it with an ohm meter before installing it. It seems that the brake switch is "Live" all the time. Regardless of where you positioned the "rod" the brake lights were "on" all the time.

Well, I bit the bullet and purchased the newer USA Made unit ($50) and installed it. This time I checked to see if the "rod" or "plunger" activated correctly. It did! As a matter of fact, the gentleman at Bratton's checked the switch with an ohm meter before he sent it to me. That's good service!

Now, I have what appears to be an alignment issue with the brake rod. When I push on the brake pedal, the rod or plunger on the brake switch slides below the flat surface on the brake rod and locks in the position until I remove the brake rod. The housing on the ($50) brake switch seems to be as flimsy as the $8.00 brake switch. My brake switch is mounted horizontally and not vertically. That may be my problem, because I am thinking the housing would be in a stronger position if it were mounted vertically. The brake switch rod is sliding to the bottom of the flat surface on the brake rod and because it is mounted horizontally, the housing is not strong enough to hold it's position.

I have seen where others have mounted the brake switch in the vertical position, but the holes in my cross member don't seem to align with the brake rod using the vertical position. There are several holes in the cross member, but it will only mount in the horizontal position and align with the brake rod. See picture.

Your thoughts...Be gentle...this is my first Model A adoption!

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0145.JPG (157.6 KB, 133 views)
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote