View Single Post
Old 02-22-2019, 08:40 PM   #50
Synchro909

Default Re: Preservation vs Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
I did mean a dual master cylinder. The problem is that total pedal travel has to be the same as original or the pedal will hit the floor before the brakes are applied in case of a leak. If you've ever blown a hose, you noticed that the pedal went to about an inch off the floor before you had any brakes! That is normal.
If a dual master is mounted in an early car and has less pedal travel than OEM or pedal ratio is different, the pedal will likely hit the floor before you have any brakes!
By dual master cylinder, I understand two separate hydraulic systems completely independant of each other so that if one does fail, the other is unaffected. I'd take that any day over a single master cylinder which, as you say would result in no brakes at all. BTW, single master cyinders have been prohibited here for decades. Any imported car that had them fitted had to be converted before they were allowed on the road.