Thread: Detergent oil
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #4
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Detergent oil

Here we go....... Again! No! I wouldn't use non detergent oil in your mod. A! But here's what I would do. Start it on the old old that's in it now, run it for 10-15 minutes and drain it out. Refill with any cheap oil. run it for ten hours and dump that. Then I would refill with Shell Rotella 15 / 40. Why such a involved process? Simple,when the car was stored in 1972, the engine acquired moisture in places we can only guess at. Like the cam lobes, valve stems, cylinder walls, etc. Starting the engine will scrape the rust off these surfaces and it will circulate in the oil as grit. If you don't scrape it off, It will contaminate the new oil and cause wear. The Shell Rotella is what most of us use, available from TSC in ten qt. containers. One thought to keep in mind, the worst oils of today are better than the best oils of 1930. And there really is no "Best" oil for a mod. A. I'd change at 1000 miles. Remember, These cars made it through the depression when oils changes were a luxury and WW2 when there was no oil. They took their oil out, settled the dirt out and put it back in, to run another 500 miles. Good luck!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote