View Single Post
Old 07-19-2017, 08:46 AM   #62
Will N

Default Re: What did you do working on you Model A today

I'm convinced God is watching out for me. I was under the car checking it out for the upcoming ride to Gettysburg, and noticed the rear spring center bolt nut had snapped off. My initial plan was to lower the axle and spring and see if I could draw the spring together with a long bolt, clamp it, replace the long bolt with the regular square head bolt, yada yada, while the spring was still attached to the axle under the car. But I soon realized that was not going to be a comfortable and safe working condition, so I removed the spring. As I was tapped out the last shackle, the spring fell over with the shackle still part way in the eye, and son of a gun the shackle broke in two when the spring hit the floor. Well I looked at it more closely, and only half of the crack was clean and new. The other half of the crack was dirty and greasy, indicating it had been cracked for some time already. That could have been a real bad situation had that shackle let go on the road.

So I'm convinced God snapped off that spring center bolt were I could easily see it so that I would eventually find the cracked shackle that was not obviously damaged just by a cursory look at it.
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)