View Single Post
Old 12-24-2023, 04:00 PM   #11
Synchro909

Default Re: My 1928 A Tudor steers very hard What ca I do?

I have filled my steering boxes with grease for years - Cornhead grease. I thoroughly recommend its use. Its lubricating qualities are good and leaks are almost zero. I no longer use those thick gooey lubricants I so often read about of here.
Back to the question. If there has recently been grease pumped into the kingpins an steering joints, my bet it is either the ball joints (dry or worn) or the steering box being dry. I'd start there, like most here have suggested. A rebuild may be in your near future. Parts for you guys are readily available and excellent results can be obtained with careful and thoughtful assembly. Consider asking a workshop to make eccentric sector shaft bushes so you can get the pinion/sector engagement as good as possible. I was lucky with mine when I rebuilt it, there was ZERO play in it when I assembled it and now, after about 20,000 miles there is still less than an inch but steering is still heavier than my other cars fitted with 2 tooth steering boxes.

Last edited by Synchro909; 12-29-2023 at 04:59 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote