View Single Post
Old 07-27-2019, 03:52 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: R10 pawl and blocker ring

I'm a bit confused of your description of "Hitting the Blocker Ring". Hitting indicates movement of a mass with a sudden stop against some other mass. Most of this is due to some confusion in the manuals about nomenclature of these parts. The pawl has to be within the protruding arms of the balk ring.

The pawl should rest up against the trigger notch of the balk ring to prevent rotation of the ring. The balk ring has to be confined to a small area of movement to keep everything staged for action. When you let off the throttle to shift, the balk ring moves the trigger notch out of the way just enough so it can fit in to the window there to engage the sun gear plate part of the assembly which locks the overdrive into action. The assembly is referred to as the ring and plate assembly of which the balk ring and gear plate are both part of. Some of those photos refer to the balk ring as the "blocker ring" so I can see the confusion in that. The only true blocker rings are the ones in synchronizer of the transmission.

I hope this makes sense to you. All of the Borg Warner design overdrives work with the same principals. The pawl should slide easily in the housing there and back out far enough for assembly of the parts. It has to be installed in the correct position so that the rail can engage it when the system is locked out. It can only work in there if it is correctly installed.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)