View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 09:53 AM   #47
Benson

Default Re: Noise in my new 29 a engin

Hey Pinball,

Here is what happened to me ... might help you out.

06-03-2017, 01:14 PM #3

Looking back on it the only thing NOT replaced were the three needle bearings because they looked good. (HINT ... HINT)

I lived with the noise by keeping speeds low in 2nd gear and drove another 5000 miles.

Finally got tired of noise and tore it down.

Found that one of the needle bearings inside the cluster gear had come apart so one end of cluster gear was "flopping around".

Second/third slider gear and the corresponding gear on the cluster were "all chewed up".

These were brand new Mark USA gears!

I wonder if maybe I could have saved the 2nd gear and cluster by taking it apart as soon as the noise started! Your call !!

Steve at Bert's said it was the noisiest transmission that he had ever heard.

On the surviving needle bearings you can see that the needles are worn to "Points" where they fit into the holes in the "cage". Other wise the bearings look new.
Last edited by Benson; 06-03-2017 at 01:28 PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinball73 View Post
well I probably found a lot of my noise! was planning on rebuilding the transmission this winter, so I got started on it a few days ago! took the top shift tower off & felt pretty good on what I am seeing! got the transmission out & apart & found the u-joint is toast! I have never seen one worn as bad as this one. the next thing I find is you can slide the u-joint forward & back just about 1/2"! who ever was the last one was that was in there had put a oversized lock washer & a soft iron flat washer to hold the u-joint on the out put gear! I have no idea how it even stayed on there, the washer was bent back enough I could almost remove the u-joint without removing the bolt! not quite but almost. can't weight to get it to gather & see what changes!
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote