View Single Post
Old 01-29-2020, 10:31 AM   #38
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: Distribator off by one tooth - Pulley casting number

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWL View Post
I am afraid this is not yet understood. Changing distributor teeth has NOTHING to do with the relationship between the timing light and the pulley marker for where best performance is achieved. Where the light flashes on the pulley/pointer is the actual ignition timing. If the engine ran at it's best with the flashing light 1 1/2 inches beyond the pointer it will continue to do so no matter which distributor tooth is engaged. Changing tooth engagement does not impact the relationship between spark timing and best engine performance.

Of course connecting the light to the wrong plug wire will alter results.
Maybe if you replace "location of the artificial TDC in silver marker, that is one tooth off (on the right) when using a timing light" with [I]"Where the light flashes on the pulley/pointer is the actual ignition timing.", is the way it should have read.

I agree with your statement: "If the engine ran at it's best with the flashing light 1 1/2 inches beyond the pointer it will continue to do so no matter which distributor tooth is engaged.", but I wanted it to run where the timing light was pointed at the timing "dot" on the pulley. In order to do that I had to move the distributor one tooth CCW.

That is all what the post was about, nothing more. Sorry for the confusion.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote