View Single Post
Old 12-01-2014, 01:09 PM   #20
newshirt

Default Re: Can the Model A hobby survive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven321 View Post
Now, I enjoy my restored 31 Tudor. However, it's no secret that original cars are slooowww, hard to drive and shift, have no sound system, vibrate a lot, are somewhat unsafe, etc. etc. Very little there to attract newer generations without some kind of revolutionary changes in the way the hobby operates. Probably changes that are going to be unacceptable or at best uncomfortable for most in the hobby today.
One thing to consider about this... Try to enjoy the quirky weirdness of your Model A in all its glory.

I drive my A at least twice a week, and almost never exceed 50 mph. Mostly, it's just 40 - 45. Hey, it's not a Honda!

Part of my enjoyment is watching the fence posts go by and listening to the engine hum. Of course I revel in the fact that I can cross intersections at 10 mph, clear hills at 25, hit 50 with a tailwind... and drive a thousand miles without a hiccup. I love every antiquie detail of the machine. The big wire wheels, the flat windshield, the simple engineering -- no fuel filter, no oil filter, no air filter, no turn signals, no electronics, no radio, no cd, no heater, no sensors, no synchros, and of course, it's awesomely elegant design. I brag about it's 'modern' conveniences and 'powerful' engine every chance I get.

To me, those are things worth recognizing. And I suspect younger folks will too. Just point them out, and jaws will drop.

Welcome to the barn!