View Single Post
Old 11-30-2014, 11:44 PM   #7
29tudorsedan

Default Re: Can the Model A hobby survive?

I agree the hobby will definitely survive, I think it'll evolve a little, I'm one of the younger members of my club (21) but there are a few children or grandchildren of older members that are taking interest in the hobby, and I do agree with mike as far as the shortcomings you have mentioned, my car felt drive able, but to me "old", with less than stellar suspension and steering etc. But since I've had my car, adding original shocks that had been missing, replacing a worn 7 tooth box with an early and correct and rebuilt 2 tooth, along with going through the ignition and reverting back to 6 volt and point ignition, I feel very safe in my car, and drive it without hesitation, day or night, rain or shine, and just approach it as one would a motorcycle, drive 5 steps ahead of everyone and know your limits and that the general public on the road is not aware of your limits. That mindset has given me a little over 1500 safe miles in the last two years.

I will say though, being introduced to model a's before I was introduced to the clubs, I was hesitant until I knew a few people in the local clubs and then joined. I was and continue to be blown away at how welcomed I've been and how selflessly helpful everyone has been to never hesitate to share knowledge and experience, and I am eager to return the favor as I become more knowledgeable.

Overall though, I think a large part of my current generation are a lot less mechanically inclined, or interested, although I recieve a lot of interest and questions when I drive it to school, and I always oblige any questions, or give rides, and people are always impressed with how driveable and capable the car is in modern non-freeway traffic. I think model a's will definitely be around for quite awhile, at least mine will for sure!
29tudorsedan is offline   Reply With Quote