View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #9
Lahti35

Default Re: The rest of the story ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by trulyvintage View Post
Your posts on this matter over on the MTFCA Forum:

" I just want folks to know that if you run across a 1926 FORD model T for sale in Union City Indiana by a seller named Dan watch out. I paid for this car 5 weeks ago and he keeps insisting my cashiers check has not cleared when I have the copy to prove it has. He won't refund my money or let me pick up the car. This sort of thing really ruins the hobby. "

" I felt comfortable with the deal when it was started. originally I was going to drive to his house and pick it up, pay him in cash...etc... Uhaul wouldn't let me rent a hauler from them because my truck only had a 4000lb hitch so we altered the deal to paying with a cashiers check and a transport service. He says his bank won't release the funds to him but after 5 weeks i've got to draw the line somewhere... "

" I have a copy of the check, endorsed by him, and stamped by his bank. I had my bank dig into it. He swears its out for "collecting" and that everything is good. No title as of yet because he won't release it until payment clears... i'm inclined to think his bank is the real issue as it took them 3 weeks just to present it to my bank for cashing. We're now on week 5. If the guy's bank really is jerking him around that bites.

At this point i'm not saying more either way, just wanted folks to be aware that this T is involved in some trouble that hopefully will be resolved soon. "

-------------------------------------------------

What is MISSING from your posts is how you found the car - whether you have seen the car in person - how you agreed to a sale price - whether you have talked to the Seller over the phone or in person ......

Bay City, Michigan to Union City, Indiana is only 300 miles @ http://goo.gl/maps/2C85L

300 miles ? ? ?

Why didn't you just buy the car in cash - in person - then flatbed it away to local storage or pay to have it hauled back to where you live ?

Sorry, but to pay for a car by cashiers check and then wait
for weeks for " the check to clear " does not make sense when you live 300 miles away ........

Jim
It sure doesn't... had i known it was going to be this long I would have taken the check back when first offered the chance, got a refund at my bank and made a 2nd try at an in person pickup. It gets a little complicated when you don't have a truck/trailer though and have to depend on others to borrow from now and then. I wish I had a yard big enough to keep a trailer in for these occasional needs.