View Single Post
Old 08-03-2020, 11:35 AM   #4
tommyleea

Default Re: 55 F100 battery light

[QUOTE=fordor41;1916104]I believe on your gen light power is supplied to both sides. charging and light is out. not charging and light comes on because the voltage difference between the two power sources, line from gen/alt becomes ground back to complete the circuit.....or something like that![

Thanks..That gets me started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big job View Post
question? when you turn ignition on, does the gen light come on? is the bulb good?
Lets say the generator / regulator is not charging. then the gen light stays on all the
time, so you have to take care of that first. You should be with a voltmeter around
7.5 volts above idle. As fordor41 said "something like that" and the something is
one wire on the gen light goes to the ignition switch terminal 'Ign" the other wire goes
to the 'arm' terminal on the regulator. What happens when the engine not running
the generator Armature turns into ground thus lighting the gen bulb. When engine
running the field excites the charging process and now is producing power +plus power
and that puts the bulb out because (the bulb) one side is ign power and other wire
from the bulb now is plus power from generator putting out. no bulb will light with
power going to both side of its filament. Also the bulb socket is insulated so simple
and the bulb don't care about pos or neg ground. One thing we all face is over the
years people with cutting pliers you wouldn't believe the wire butchering, wires that
come into our shop.. sam
Thanks for info. I don't have the bulb connected yet. I have the two wire socket, but was confused as to where the wires go. It sounds like it doesn't matter which wire is connected where. For example the wire from the ignition switch can be connected to either wire at the socket. Is this correct? Thanks
tommyleea is offline   Reply With Quote