View Single Post
Old 07-24-2020, 09:04 PM   #18
Penthode

Default Re: Persistent Leaky Fuel Shutoff Valve

I went to Home Depot yesterday and bought a couple of 1/4" ball valves and associated fittings. Fortunately the pipe fitting threads to the taper to the tank and the flare to the carburetor haven't changed in the last 90 years.

I made two variants I wish to try out tomorrow morning. The one on the left (1) has the ball valve section vertical and the elbow is between the valve and the pipe to the carburetor. The one on the right (2) sets the ball valve unit horizontal with the elbow between the tank and the valve. Each has its own pros and cons:

(1) Pro:Valve handle remains in the same position as the original. Con: Found that extended handle when valve is closed will point left and will hit the tube under the speedometer carrying the Speedo cable and wiring. This can be cured by shortening the handle. Pro: It can be installed without shortening the fuel line pipe between the valve and firewall. Con: the pipe will be about 2" lower into the passenger side foot well.

(2) Pro: The valve will sit higher with the fuel line out of sight closer to the underside of the tank. Con: I have to shorten the pipe between valve and firewall. This will mean desoldering the brass flare from the pipe, cutting the pipe to length and the resoldering. Pro: when valve is open, handle is horizontal and out of the way.

I am inclined to go for number two as it will provide a neater installation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200724_204534_resized.jpg (35.0 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Penthode; 07-24-2020 at 09:13 PM.
Penthode is offline   Reply With Quote