Thread: Head gasket?
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2020, 10:34 PM   #20
1crosscut

Default Re: Head gasket?

Torque the water outlet studs to 55 lbs too. I don't use a gasket on the upper outlet fitting. I file both surfaces until they are flat, flat, flat. Then I put a very thin smear of silicone gasket material on the head and torque it down. Never had a leak or broken an ear off doing it this way.

I put two light coats of the copper coat spray on the head gasket. Letting each coat get very tacky. Put the head on while the second coat is still tacky.

Be sure that the head gasket drops on easily before spraying on the copper coat. No fun fumbling around trying to get a sticky gasket to slide down onto misaligned head studs.

I'm very careful to spray the copper coat from the inside out to keep the outer edge clean leaving a crisp white gasket edge. Does nothing for performance but looks nice. If you get too much copper coat on and it squeezes out leave it alone until it is dry and shave the globs off with a sharp knife or razor blade. Try it while it is wet and it will make a smeary mess all over things.

Do not be afraid to torque the head multiple (many) times especially early on while cycling it through heating and cooling.

It will take a while for it to settle in and stay put at 55.

You can't torque it too many times. But you can torque it too much.