View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 03:59 PM   #9
jackson

Default Re: Won't go into overdrive when hot.

Wanted to post this to thank you all for the help. I did get my overdrive working, using the info supplied in this post.

Frank Miller.... my relay was failing when hot. I ended up installing a new 12V relay, one with four posts, rather than the stock three-post, that had just an ignition wire to the fuse, no battery wire. That one wire to the coil was #14.... maybe OK for a 12 volt system, but seems small for the overdrive relay.

Since I now had a four-post relay, I took Donald1950's advice and ran heavier wire I went with #10 from the starter relay to the fuse, and again used #10 from the coil + to the IGN terminal on the relay. I realize #10 is overkill, but I had some available, and it can't hurt.

While under there, I pulled the governor.... it was dirty and gummy. It appears that to disassemble the governor you have to drive a small pin out of the drive shaft. I wasn't prepared to do that, so instead sprayed it full of WD40, which cleaned a lot of gunk out, and dried it with air. I may have ruined it... don't know, but for now it runs perfectly.

Thanks again for the help.