View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #104
kwmpa

Default Re: Ford Flathead vs small block chevy debate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Rossiter View Post
Often times when I read some people extolling the virtues of a flathead Ford engine versus a small block Chevrolet engine, I get very confused when I see the many pictures of flathead engines on this forum. If these people are so much in favor of the flathead engine, why do I frequently see pictures of these engines with aftermarket heads, intake manifolds, ignition systems, and headers added to their special engines? Is it because deep down inside they really aren’t happy with the way the engine was originally built?

Its not that at all period correct hot rods had these aftermarket parts...I have hopped up flatheads with finned aluminum heads and i have bone stock 999 point show cars that are bone stock...honestly the reason i use finned aluminum heads is i love the look of them...I also use only original rare heads(evans, harrell, etc) i see it as preserving racing history...as for updating ignition systems i only have one that doesnt have stock ignition and thats a full race flathead with a mag....its not about not being happy with the stock flathead its about building exactly what you like....are you telling me every small block you see is 100% as it came from the factory...no its because people are trying to improve the looks and build what they like....lets face it the flathead is the greatest engine ever made look how long it was built and and how many are still on the road....i spent $16,500 building my last flathead i know that would build an extreme small block....but at the end of the day its still a small block and to me its junk(and i do own small block and big block powered cars but i never drive them and im actually embarassed to own them) im more then glad to dump that money into flatheads everyday