Thread: F.a.s.t.
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 03:34 PM   #14
johnneilson

Default Re: F.a.s.t.

I have no dog in this hunt, I will admit that I let my subscription go due to the content of the magazine. This is not a criticism, of Ron or Carol's work, it is more of My interest in cars and what made sense to me. For instance, technical articles faded away for Hill Climb and Dirt Drag results. As I worked my way further into the hobby, I found that I had to look in other places to find the parts access that I needed. Historical articles were my interest.

All that said, I still am involved in the hobby, I am still interested in the F.A.S.T organization. I will probably not participate in Hill Climbs or Drag racing or showing.

I have been thinking about the news letter/magazine options. For instance, my ARRL mag never makes it into the house, straight to the round file, same for AMA. Why? Because I have no option to opt out, when I need something, I go to the web.

So, I would suggest having a website for F.A.S.T. with annual dues to allow access for the constituency. The monthly updates can be done with same amount of work and with a little fore-sight, the articles can be archived in a searchable database. Advertisers can submit quarterly ads, or annual, or monthly if necessary.

For what it is worth, I did this when racing karts in the mid 2000's, I made two updates per month, no postage, no printing, no maintenance of email database. The Club members annual fees paid enough for the web hosting and proceeds from the races paid for an annual banquet with a ton of advertisers donations. One of the highlights for the younger racers was to see themselves in pictures on the site from the races, easy way to generate interest of viewers.

Just an opinion, but I do agree with Jim, Carol was the brains of the operation, Ron, best under a Model "A".

John