View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #13
29FordGuy

Default Re: Town Sedan body and door alignment

Here is an update to my problem I was having. Sometimes I find it best to just get away from it and regroup with a clear mind. I worked on it Saturday afternoon and found that yes, I do have a sagging frame but it appears to be in the vicinity of the center post. I agree that the best would be to stop here and straighten the frame according to the book, but I just can not do it now. I need to get this project done (now 2-1/2 years)! I also found that the repro rear bumper braces I bought were holding up the rear of the body about 1/4-inch. Yes I do have the correct height - 3 inches. So I removed the flat piece they were attached to and the body dropped down to the frame. Don't figure! Now I just need to figure out how to attach the braces.

I then measured at each bolt location the distance of separation between sill and frame and calculated the number of shims it would take to fill. Then I added or subtracted shims to adjust the doors. Now the front doors fit good and the rear doors are now only 1/4-inch low. I think my door hinges may still be a bit wide as they were all sprung when I got the car. The door clearance on the hinge side is much greater than the latch side.

I am also fitting the hood and that is so far going well (cowl to shelf at right angle). Will do that after I get the body done. I will continue this week and see if I can get it all complete. Painting will come when it comes! No sense in rushing it.
29FordGuy is offline   Reply With Quote