View Single Post
Old 12-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #25
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Starting with 12v running with 6v

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WZOREK View Post
You could always buy a house on top of a hill and roll it down the hill & pop start it every time you want to go to town ~~~ Just kidding ~~~
But it does seem like a lot of work to make some thing more complicated then it has to be.
There is a expression JUST KEEP IT SIMPLE
Of coarse this is just my opinion and it is yours to do as you want.
Please keep us posted on what you decide & how you make out.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
I know this was intended as a joke "live on top of a hill & pop the clutch every time you want to go", but that is what I did!! Was stationed in Okinawa in the 60s and owned a 6v VW. They have a rainy season where it rains around the clocks for several months. Something about the VW electrical system would build up a lot of resistance when it set overnight. Every morning I would have to remove the distributer cap and wipe it out and clean the points. Sometimes I would also have to clean the starter and battery terminals. This gets old after a while!! Then I decided to just let it coast down the hill and pop the clutch until it would start. Seemed to make it through the day after that, then the next day the same routine.

When I got back to the states I had a few other VWs and all of them seem to have poor 6v systems in them and I never took the time to figure out what the weak link was, (but I can guess now!). Started installing the series-parallel solenoids in them and never had a problem again. They were very easy to hookup and worked great. They are really no different than any other solenoid, just wiring differently internally. After I started looking into this again it appears they are still a popular item for large trucks. Most of them appear to be dual 12v systems now switching between 24v and 12v.

I am not promoting this dual battery approach at all, was just responding to a question about can it be done. I run my cars 12v through out. But I also under the comments about a 6v Ford system working as well now as it did then if properly maintained.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote